Maycomb Tribune

Maycomb Tribune

Last Sunday night, an angry mob of white males disrupted the county jail. Their goal was to gather a black male, Tom Robinson, who was being held there because of a rape charge. They wanted to prosecute and punish him according to their own opinions and standards, rather than let the judge decide his sentence when it came time for his trial. The mob was dismantled thanks to Mr. Finch’s daughter, Scout, who made the mob realize how silly their actions truly were.

Whether we like to admit it or not, the fact is that this mob was only formed because of Mr. Robinson’s skin color. I believe that it is not okay to treat anyone any differently simply because of the color of their skin. I feel that what the mob did was very wrong and very disrespectful to both Mr. Finch and to Tom Robinson. All the mob had to do was wait a few more days for the trial to procced and see what was going to happen rather than take matters into their own hands like they tried to do. What the mob did was very inappropriate and I feel that they should be punished in the way of being fined or maybe even a little jail time.

Racism is very harsh in this town and I feel it needs to stop immediately. Many blacks are getting hurt by groups of white people for no reason. We, as a town, need to be more respectful to blacks because they are just like us other than their color. We should embrace all the things and perspectives they have to offer. Just like whites, there are good blacks and bad blacks. We should not assume all are bad and we should all give Tom Robinson the proper trial that he deserves as an American. I know that in our lifetime we probably cannot totally get rid of segregation and racism, but I hope someday we do. I am very tired of hearing reports of colored people being harmed. Let us think about our actions from now on, and let us all give Tom Robinson a proper chance.